So much culture and fun for NYC families this December! Explore festive holiday attractions, keep celebrating Hanukkah, try a museum family program, play in cool pop-ups & public art, see (so many!) family-friendly shows (including a remarkable amount of dance for all ages) and more.
Check out our always-being-updated deals listing for savings on shows, clothes, subscription services and more.
UPPER WEST SIDE
* Celebrate Hannukah with Dreidel, Menorah & Hanukiah workshops at CMOM and Klezmer, art, origami and more at the JCC.
* Meet Victorian fortune tellers on Saturday and celebrate the magic of Harry Potter on Sunday at the interactive New-York Historical Society and brunch at classy yet kid-friendly Caffe Storico,
* See Yeti, Set, Snow! at the Swedish Cottage Marionette Theatre, dance along at Angelina Ballerina Holiday, marvel at Big Apple Circus and laugh with the Amazing Max.
UPPER EAST SIDE
* See the charming Peter & the Wolf with Isaac Mizrahi at the Guggenheim then explore gorgeous exhibition Hilma af Klint: Paintings for the Future, on a Sunday morning family tour or anytime with the kids activity guide.
* Join a gallery tour, art workshop and Joanie Leeds & The Nightlights concert at the Jewish Museum and see over 80 Hanukkah lamps and striking Chagall paintings, plus get bagels and french toast babka at Russ & Daughters in the basement
* Fun festivals include Hanukkah Family Celebration at the Museum of the City of New York, Met Family Afternoon: Global Community and the blessing of the animals at Christ Church.
Holiday Highlights: Gorgeous 18th Century Baroque creche angels hover over an Italian village filled with animals and interesting characters at the Metropolitan Museum Tree, plus see one of largest silver Hanukkah lamps in the world.
* Santa is all over midtown – reading storytime at Lotte New York Palace, looking fashionable at Bergdorf Goodman, on-screen and in person at Holiday Time in PaleyLand, breakfasting at American Girl, improving with elves, ice skaing at Rockefeller Center, and dancing with the Rockettes.
* Hear Scandinavian holiday stories, make Irish holiday crafts and join a Dickensian England Winter Family Fair. And see Merry Tubas at Rockefeller Center.
* Show options include interactive dance theatre Boing! and Circus Abyssinia: Ethiopian Dreams at the New Victory Theater, Alvin Ailey Family Matinee, American Idol alums Ruben & Clay’s First Annual Christmas Show and FunikiJam’s HOLIDAY BEAT!.
* Website Fatherly hosts a free Playroom pop-up with a jump pit, LEGO art gallery, musical performances, arts & crafts and a visit from Santa on Sunday.
* See vintage cars and get a pastrami take-out sansandiwchiwch at the 1950s Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Carnegie Deli Pop-Up.
* Family-friendly shows include the bilingual My Magical Chivita, The Colorful Colombian Bus, improv Cereals @ The Flea: Not My Monster!, interactive Laurie Berkner’s Pillowland, and Mozart For Munchkins: Jazz For Juniors!.
* Visit the free M&Ms Chocolate Bars pop-up with a velcro wall, slide and so many samples.
* See cool colorful art in galley shows by Jerkface and The Masters Series: Roz Chast and the Whitney’s amazing exhibition Andy Warhol – From A to B and Back Again (plus create in the Whitney Open Studio).
* Walk on water and make art at free, fantastic Rubin Family Sundays: Treasured Terma then indulge in a half-pound cookie at Citycakes Bakery.
WEST VILLAGE/EAST VILLAGE
* Get your cookie fix and meet Santa at the Taste Of Christmas Cookie Walk.
* Swing dance to live bands on vintage subway cars at NYCVintageTrain2018 Underground Swing & Jazz Festival.
* See great American dance at Martha Graham’s Appalachian Spring Family Matinee and Film Forum Jr.: West Side Story.
* Laugh and create at interactive Show Up, Kids!, see arty films with live music, enjoy a musical Christmas Caroll or follow The Fantastical Dangerous Journey of Q.
* Take a photo amidst with the handsome Santa at ABC Carpet & Home gorgeous decorations. Get some hot chocolate and pretzel croissants from nearby City Bakery to eat in line.
* Meet picture book authors and illustrators at Book of Wonder’s December Picture Book Bonanza or the Grinch at the Strand.
* Explore around and inside life-size decorated gingerbread houses and walk through sunny yellow screens in Madison Square Park (plus get decadent hot chocolate at Eataly or Chocolate Peppermint & Christmas Cookie shakes at the original Shake Shack).
* See a family-friendly Nutcracker narrated to live music at the wonderful Sugar Hill Children’s Museum of Art & Storytelling.
* Visit historic Morris-Jumel Mansion for pommander ornament making and a Christmas Carol reading.
* Learn about the brain at Saturday Science at Columbia: Let’s Move It.