New York, New York
Sunday, Monday & Wednesday 10:30 am - 6 pm
Thursday - Saturday 10:30 am - 10 pm
See bold, often interactive modern contemporary art in a gorgeous modern building with a stunning view of the Hudson River.
$: $22, $18/students & seniors, free/ages 17 & under
Annual Memberships: $85+. Includes two guest passes and invitations to the members-only evening receptions. Can be customized to either 'Family' for discounts on kids' activities or 'Social' for more nights out for Mommy.
Free Hours: Friday 7-10 pm
Favorite Spots: Ramble up and down the outdoor stairs on the terrace with a view.
Current Kid-Friendly Exhibits:
•Spilling Over: Painting Color in the 1960s (through Aug 31)
See paintings from the 1960s and early 1970s that inventively use bold, saturated, and even hallucinatory color to activate perception. Includes the poured paint of the Color Field painters, Op art patterns, Frank Stellas geometric rainbows and more kid-favorite favorites.
Strollers/Diapers: Strollers can be checked on the lower level or taken into most exhibits. The elevators are spacious (and works of art in themselves). Large bathrooms with changing tables on most floors. Check out the monthly stroller tours for ages 18 months and under.
Eat & Treats: The lobby restaurant Untitled is delicious, surprisingly kid-friendly and has one of the best chocolate chip cookies in the city. Brunch at Bubbes across Washington Street or go down the block for ton of yummy options at Gansevoort Market.
Other Tips: As with much contemporary art, some of the exhibits may not be appropriate for all ages. Do some research on Whitney's very cool website or ask at the Visitor Services desk in the lobby (where you can also pick up a free family guide).
Take a stroll on the adjacent High Line for a full day of city fun.
At This Location
- Spilling Over: Painting Color in the 1960s Friday, March 29–Saturday, August 31 11:00 am–6:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Saturday, April 27 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Sunday, April 28 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Saturday, May 4 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Sunday, May 5 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Saturday, May 11 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Sunday, May 12 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Saturday, May 18 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Sunday, May 19 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Saturday, May 25 10:30 am–3:00 pm