New York, New York
Upper East Side
11 am - 5:45 pm, closed Wednesdays
Explore the global Jewish experience through works of fine art, Judaica, antiquities, folk art, ceremonial objects, and broadcast media intelligently organized in gorgeous galleries and play in the small but engaging Archaeology Zone.
$: $15, free/ages 18 & under
Annual Memberships: $75+.
Free Hours: Thursdays 5-8 pm
Favorite Spots: In the fascinating and friendly Archaeology Zone, children learn what happens after archaeologists unearth artifacts. Search for clues about objects dating from ancient times to the present day, dress up and play in a Moroccan home, create works of art inspired by unique objects in the Museum’s collection and more.
Current Kid-Friendly Exhibits:
•Chagall, Lissitzky, Malevich: The Russian Avant-Garde in Vitebsk, 1918-1922 (through Jan 6)
Find bold shapes, colors, surreal figures and more kid-friendly art in this exploration of Marc Chagall's revolutionary art school, open to everyone, free of charge, and with no age restrictions in Vitebsk, far from Russia’s main cities. Includes paintings and sculptures by Marc Chagall, El Lissitzky, and Kazimir Malevich, as well as works by students and teachers of the Vitebsk school loaned by museums in Vitebsk and Minsk and major American and European collections plus video and photographs from the post-revolutionary Soviet Union.
Family Programs: Sunday family programs include drop-in art workshops, storytimes and occasional family concerts.
Eat & Treats: Nosh on smoked fish platters, bagels and bialys, knishes, egg creams, babka and more Jewish-American classic foods at the new in-museum outpost of iconic Lower East Side appetizing shop Russ & Daughters.
At This Location
- Chagall, Lissitzky, Malevich: The Russian Avant-Garde in Vitebsk, 1918-1922 Friday, September 14–Sunday, January 6 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Jewish Museum Studio Art Sessions: Abstract Print Sunday, November 18 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Jewish Museum Pay-What-You-Wish Hours Wednesday, November 21 5:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Jewish Museum Studio Art Sessions Sunday, November 25 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Jewish Museum Pay-What-You-Wish Hours Wednesday, November 28 5:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Jewish Museum Studio Art Sessions Sunday, December 2 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Jewish Museum Pay-What-You-Wish Hours Wednesday, December 5 5:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Picture This! Gallery Tour, Art Workshop + Joanie Leeds & The Nightlights Concert Sunday, December 9 10:00 am–12:30 pm
- Jewish Museum Studio Art Sessions Sunday, December 9 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Art Explorers: Family Tour & Art Workshop for Preschoolers Tuesday, December 11 4:00 pm–5:00 pm