New York, New York
Upper West Side
Tuesday-Thursday, Saturday 10am-6pm
This fascinating museum features an entire floor of interactive exhibits especially for kids. Weekly and special occasion family programs range from weekly storytimes to historical chocolate tastings, with frequent visits from living historians portraying Americans of the past.
$: $20, $6/ages 5-13, free/ages 4 & under
50% off with this link
Annual Memberships: $75+.
Free Hours: Fridays 6-8 pm
* Ride an orphan train, play a newsies video game and explore lots of other interactive exhibits in the awesome hands-on DiMenna Children's History Museum. Choose from scavenger hunts designed for ages 5 & under and 6+. Lots to learn for older kids, lots to touch including a train table for tots.
* Immersive video projection, moving scenic elements, theatrical lighting and surround sound explore the history of New York during the eighteen-minute New York Story shown throughout the day. Lively and engaging for all ages (though scenes of fire and fighting might be scary for younger kids).
* Don't miss the digital design-your-own Tiffany lamp in the stunning, immersive fourth floor galleries displaying the exceptional Tiffany stained glass collection. Look for different kinds of flowers and animals in so many pretty colors.
Family Programs: Tuesdays & Thursdays at 3:30pm, 3 - 5 year olds can hear NY-themed stories, do related craft projects and play with historic toys in Little New-Yorkers. There are always different interesting events related to holidays and current exhibits; check the family programs calendar to see what's coming up.
Strollers/Diapers: Strollers can enter on 77th Street and can get pretty much everywhere in the museum (though they have to be left outside some exhibits). Diaper changing tables are found on every floor.
Eat & Treats: Feast on antipasti, artisanal pastas and paninis at Caffe Storico, the museum's classy but kid-friendly eatery or grab pastries and sandwichs at counter service Parliament Espresso and Coffee. Head down 77th Street for burgers and frozen custard at Shake Shack.
Other Tips: * On weekends, pick up a History Detective Briefcase on the fourth floor to discovering the past through games, sketching, and activities.
*Find unique gifts and educational toys in the museum gift shop.
At This Location
- Little New-Yorkers New-York Historical Society Storytime Friday, April 26 3:30 pm–4:15 pm
- Living History: Votes for Women! Saturday, April 27 12:00 pm–5:00 pm
- New-York Historical Society Storytime Sunday, April 28 11:30 am–12:30 pm
- Living History: Votes for Women! Sunday, April 28 12:00 pm–5:00 pm
- Little New-Yorkers New-York Historical Society Storytime Tuesday, April 30 3:30 pm–4:15 pm
- Little New-Yorkers New-York Historical Society Storytime Friday, May 3 3:30 pm–4:15 pm
- New-York Historical Society Storytime Sunday, May 5 11:30 am–12:30 pm
- Little New-Yorkers New-York Historical Society Storytime Tuesday, May 7 3:30 pm–4:15 pm
- Stroller Tour Through History Friday, May 10 9:15 am–10:15 am
- Little New-Yorkers New-York Historical Society Storytime Friday, May 10 3:30 pm–4:15 pm