Astoria, New York
Wednesday–Thursday 10:30 am–5:00 pm
Friday 10:30 am–8:00 pm
Saturday and Sunday 10:30 am–6:00 pm
Explore film, TV and video games from nineteenth century optical toys to the latest in digital art with lots of hand-on exhibits in a spacious, modern building.
$: $15, $9/students & seniors, $7/ages 3-12, free/2 and under
Free Hours: Friday 4–6 pm
Favorite Spots: Play classic arcade games and see Star Wars paraphernalia (including a Chewbacca mask used in filming) on the second floor.
Current Kid-Friendly Exhibits:
•Jim Henson’s World (through Dec 31)
Explore Jim Henson’s groundbreaking work for film and television and his transformative impact on popular culture and learn how Henson and his team of builders, performers, and writers brought to life the enduringly popular worlds of The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, The Dark Crystal, and Labyrinth. Among the nearly 300 objects on view are 47 puppets—including Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Rowlf, The Swedish Chef, Statler, Big Bird, Elmo, Cantus Fraggle, and other popular favorites—character sketches, storyboards, scripts, photographs, and iconic costumes. See film and television clips and behind-the-scenes footage and try interactive experiences puppeteering on screen and...
•A Whole Different Ball Game: Playing Through 60 Years of Sports Video Games (through Mar 10)
See and play more than 40 sports video games spanning the last six decades, examining the complex relationships between game, sport, media, and culture. The exhibition considers what it means for full-body sports to be transposed to screens and controllers in the service of realism, who is or isn’t represented in sports video games, the ways broadcast sports and video games reflect one another, and the primacy of statistics in professional sports and sports simulators.
Family Programs: See classics on the big screen and learn about filmmaking at family matinees & workshops held most weekends and during school vacations.
Eat & Treats: Indulge in Venezuelan fried yumminess at the Arepas Cafe a few blocks way and snag a Fraggle Rock Mast Brothers chocolate bar in the gift shop.
At This Location
- Jim Henson’s World Monday, January 1–Monday, December 31 10:00 am–5:30 pm
- A Whole Different Ball Game: Playing Through 60 Years of Sports Video Games Thursday, November 1–Sunday, March 10 10:00 am–5:00 pm
- Museum of the Moving Image Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Thursday, December 13 4:00 pm–8:00 pm
- A Christmas Carol Saturday, December 15 11:00 am–12:15 pm
- A Christmas Carol Sunday, December 16 11:00 am–12:15 pm
- Museum of the Moving Image Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Thursday, December 20 4:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Museum of the Moving Image Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Thursday, December 27 4:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Museum of the Moving Image Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Thursday, January 3 4:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Access Mornings @ MoMI Saturday, January 5 9:30 am–10:30 am
- Museum of the Moving Image Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Thursday, January 10 4:00 pm–8:00 pm