New York, New York
Upper East Side
Daily 10 am - 6 pm
Become an informed New Yorker at this small museum with a big collection of theater artifacts, furniture, toys, paintings, sculpture and photos arranged into exhibits that entertain and educate all ages.
Annual Memberships: $75+. Includes invitations to special members-only events and discounts on programs and in the Museum Shop Cafe.
Current Kid-Friendly Exhibits:
•A City for Corduroy (through Jun 23)
Explore the artistic career of New Yorker Don Freeman, the creator of the beloved stuffed bear Corduroy. Se his lively and humane depictions of ordinary New Yorkers and the city in the 1930s, illustrated scenes of the Broadway backstage and children’s books inspired by the city, including the Corduroy books, Pet of the Met and Hattie the Backstage Bat. Features drawings, paintings, publications, and prints, as well as the artist’s original studies and sketches of Corduroy and other characters.
Family Programs: Ages 6-12 can participate in free history and art activities on weekends and school vacation days. Drop in anytime between 11 am and 2 pm. Free snacks included. All ages can go on family-friendly scavenger hunts with free themed guides designed to help families to look closely at the building and exhibitions.
Strollers/Diapers: Strollers can enter via a ramp on 103rd Street between Fifth and Madison Avenues.
Eat & Treats: Choose from different size and type of patties and an array of homemade sauces to make your own burger at Joy Burger Bar with a side of excellent sweet potato or zucchini fries.
Other Tips: Walk across across Fifth Avenue and visit the gorgeous Conservatory Garden, the only formal garden in Central Park.
At This Location
- A City for Corduroy Saturday, December 22–Sunday, June 23 11:00 am–6:00 pm
- DNA Explorers Friday, February 22 11:00 am–2:00 pm
- 3rd Annual Herstory Day Sunday, March 3 11:00 am–3:00 pm
- NYC Tots: Spring Class Series Thursday, April 4 10:00 am–12:00 pm
- Cycling Through the City Friday, April 19 11:00 am–2:00 pm
- Earth Day Celebration Monday, April 22 11:00 am–2:00 pm
- Eid al-Fitr Community Celebration Tuesday, June 4 11:00 am–2:00 pm