New York, New York
Upper East Side
Daily 10 am - 6 pm
Become an informed New Yorker at this small museum with a big collection of theater artifacts, furniture, toys, paintings, sculpture and photos arranged into exhibits that entertain and educate all ages.
Annual Memberships: $75+. Includes invitations to special members-only events and discounts on programs and in the Museum Shop Cafe.
Current Kid-Friendly Exhibits:
Art in the Open: Fifty Years of Public Art in New York (through Sep 23)
Look back at fifty years of innovative art works, both permanent and temporary, installed in the public spaces of New York, the most robust and vibrant environment for public art in the world lucky us). Features renderings, models, photographs, and video footage tracing the creation of public artworks by such artists as Red Grooms, Christo and Jeanne-Claude, and Kara Walker marking the 40th anniversary of the pioneering Public Art Fund.
New York at Its Core (through Dec 31)
Follow the story of NYC’s rise from a striving Dutch village to today’s “Capital of the World,” and consider its future in a changing world through more than 400 objects as well as interactive digital experiences. Framed around the key themes of money, density, diversity, and creativity, New York City’s history comes alive through the stories of innovation, energy, struggle, and the vision of generations of immigrants, politicians, tycoons, dreamers, master builders, and ordinary New Yorkers.
Family Programs: Ages 6-12 can participate in free history and art activities on weekends and school vacation days. Drop in anytime between 11 am and 2 pm. Free snacks included. All ages can go on family-friendly scavenger hunts with free themed guides designed to help families to look closely at the building and exhibitions.
Strollers/Diapers: Strollers can enter via a ramp on 103rd Street between Fifth and Madison Avenues.
Eat & Treats: Choose from different size and type of patties and an array of homemade sauces to make your own burger at Joy Burger Bar with a side of excellent sweet potato or zucchini fries.
Other Tips: Walk across across Fifth Avenue and visit the gorgeous Conservatory Garden, the only formal garden in Central Park.
- New York at Its Core Friday, November 18–Monday, December 31 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Art in the Open: Fifty Years of Public Art in New York Thursday, June 1–Sunday, September 23 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Museum of The City of New York Family Program – Mural Mania Monday, July 23 11:00 am–2:00 pm
- Museum of The City of New York Family Program – Paint Through the City Wednesday, July 25 11:00 am–2:00 pm
- Museum of The City of New York Family Program – Leading Ladies: Puppet Making Monday, July 30 11:00 am–2:00 pm
- Museum of The City of New York Family Program – Stand Up & Speak Out: Zine Making Wednesday, August 1 11:00 am–2:00 pm
- Museum of The City of New York Family Program – Water All Around: Watercolor Painting Monday, August 6 11:00 am–2:00 pm
- Museum of The City of New York Family Program – Wet Water Lab Wednesday, August 8 11:00 am–2:00 pm
- Museum of The City of New York Family Program – Summer City Games Monday, August 13 11:00 am–2:00 pm
- Museum of The City of New York Family Program – My City Summer Wednesday, August 15 11:00 am–2:00 pm