New York, New York
Upper East Side
Daily 10 am – 5:45 pm
Open until 7:45 pm Saturday
The striking Frank Lloyd Wright–designed rotunda is reason enough to visit this landmark museum, and exciting, well-designed exhibits and kids’ programs make this a family-friendly setting for contemporary and modern art.
$: $22, $18/students & seniors, free/kids under 12
Annual Memberships: $75+.
Free Hours: Saturday 5:45 - 7:45 pm
Current Kid-Friendly Exhibits:
•Hilma af Klint: Paintings for the Future (through Apr 23)
Bold biomorphic and geometric forms. lots of rainbows and a fascinating back-story of an under-recognized female artist make this an excellent exhibition for all ages. She forbad her pioneering works to be displayed until 20 years after her death, ideally in a spiral temple similar to the current stunning setting. Talk about her ouija board like creative spiritualism, try to guess the ages protrayed in each of the monumental The Ten Largest and pick up an engaging free Family Activity Guide.
Family Programs: At Sunday Open Studios For Families, explore exhibition highlights through creative interactive projects in the galleries and head to the Studio Art Lab in the basement to make art inspired by the museum. Engage with fantastic art educators at the Little Guggs for ages 2-4 and Second Sunday Family Tours for ages 5 & up.
Strollers/Diapers: Strollers welcome (wee ones on wheels even get their own tours), though be careful on the slanted ramp. Double strollers must be checked but single umbrella strollers are available to borrow.
Eat & Treats: Lunch or brunch at high-design at New American bistro The Wright or stay casual with sandwiches, pastries, chocolates, coffee, tea, wine etc. at Cafe 3 on the third floor with a spectacular view across Fifth Avenue to Central Park. Tasty cafe & coffee shop Heavenly Rest Stop is a few blocks south.
Other Tips: Pick up a family activity guide at the admissions desk, or visit the (weekends-only) family kiosk for a pack of family fun including a scavenger hunt guide, sketchbook and colored pencils. Also see their websites great tips for parents.
At This Location
- Hilma af Klint: Paintings for the Future Friday, October 12–Tuesday, April 23 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Guggenheim Open Studios For Families Sunday, February 24 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Guggenheim Open Studios For Families Sunday, March 3 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Second Sunday Family Tour: Abstraction in Action Sunday, March 10 10:30 am–12:00 pm
- Guggenheim Open Studios For Families Sunday, March 10 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Guggenheim Open Studios For Families Sunday, March 17 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Guggenheim Stroller Tour Tuesday, March 19 3:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Guggenheim Open Studios For Families Sunday, March 24 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Guggenheim Open Studios For Families Sunday, March 31 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Guggenheim Open Studios For Families Sunday, April 7 1:00 pm–4:00 pm