New York, New York
Upper East Side
Daily 10 am - 6 pm
Open Saturday until 9 pm
This collection of historic and contemporary design is a high-tech, interactive dream for all ages. Explore innovative design through the centuries, play designer on high resolution touchscreen tables with very cool electronic ‘pens,’ and rock around in the Spun chairs in the basement.
$: $16, $14 online, $10/seniors, free/ages 17 & under
Free admission for 1 grown-up after storytimes
Annual Memberships: $75+.
Free Hours: Saturdays 6 –9 pm
Favorite Spots: Draw your own wallpaper designs then see them projected lifesize in the Immersion Room
Current Kid-Friendly Exhibits:
Manhattan Color Walk (through Jul 15)
At Cooper Hewitt’s new (free) outdoor installation celebrating their exhibition , every color in the rainbow road corresponds to a specific moment encountered by the Color Factory creative team while walking and exploring 265 streets – from the uppermost part of Manhattan at West 220th Street down to Battery Park.
Hear, See, Play: Designing With Sound (through Jul 29)
In this hands-on exhibition, become a sound designer for Trash Bot, a street-cleaning machine. Also see cool record covers and concert posters and play with different sounds.
The Senses: Design Beyond Vision (through Oct 28)
Explore experimental works and practical solutions designed to inspire wonder and new ways of accessing our world. Wander through a scented snowstorm, play a furry instrument in a Tactile Orchestra, investigate the sonic properties of glass, and experience many more multisensory experiences from some of the world’s most creative thinker. Designed to be an accessible experience welcoming to visitors of all abilities.
Saturated: The Allure and Science of Color (through Jan 13)
Rainbow lovers can explore the elusive, complex phenomenon of color perception and how it has captivated artists, designers, scientists, and sages. Featuring over 190 objects spanning antiquity to the present from, the exhibition reveals how designers apply the theories of the world’s greatest color thinkers to bring order and excitement to the visual world.
Family Programs: Create under the guidance of art and design professionals in weekend Design Kids workshops for ages 5-12.
Strollers/Diapers: All of the galleries are accessible via ramp or elevator. Baby-changing tables can be found in all of the ground-floor restrooms. Outside snacks allowed in the Cafe seating area.
Eat & Treats: The excellent cupcakes and other sweet treats are the main lure at Yura on Madison (between 91st & 92nd Street) but delicious healthier entrees, sides & sandwiches are also available. Or head to the Russ & Daughters Cafe in the Jewish Museum across the street.
- Hear, See, Play: Designing With Sound Friday, December 1–Sunday, July 29 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Saturated: The Allure and Science of Color Tuesday, May 1–Sunday, January 13 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- The Senses: Design Beyond Vision Tuesday, May 1–Sunday, October 28 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Manhattan Color Walk Friday, June 15–Sunday, July 15 8:00 am–6:00 pm
- Solstice Saturday at Cooper Hewitt Saturday, June 23 10:00 am–9:00 pm
- Imagination Playground at Cooper Hewitt Wednesday, June 27 11:00 am–1:00 pm
- Imagination Playground at Cooper Hewitt Monday, July 2 11:00 am–1:00 pm
- Imagination Playground at Cooper Hewitt Wednesday, July 4 11:00 am–1:00 pm
- Imagination Playground at Cooper Hewitt Monday, July 9 11:00 am–1:00 pm
- Imagination Playground at Cooper Hewitt Wednesday, July 11 11:00 am–1:00 pm