New York, New York
Upper East Side
Daily 10 am - 6 pm
Open Saturday until 9 pm
This collection of historic and contemporary design is a high-tech, interactive dream for all ages. Explore innovative design through the centuries, play designer on high resolution touchscreen tables with very cool electronic ‘pens,’ and rock around in the Spun chairs in the basement.
$: $16, $14 online, $10/seniors, free/ages 17 & under
Free admission for 1 grown-up after storytimes
Annual Memberships: $75+.
Free Hours: Saturdays 6 –9 pm
Favorite Spots: Draw your own wallpaper designs then see them projected lifesize in the Immersion Room
Current Kid-Friendly Exhibits:
•Scholten & Baijings: Lessons from the Studio (through Nov 28)
An interactive installation in the museum’s Process Lab, Scholten & Baijings: Lessons from the Studio invites visitors to Explore the experimental design process of the award-winning contemporary industrial design studio Scholten & Baijings. See and touch their create tableware, furniture, and textiles and perform experiments with color at two interactive stations.
•Saturated: The Allure and Science of Color (through Jan 13)
Rainbow lovers can explore the elusive, complex phenomenon of color perception and how it has captivated artists, designers, scientists, and sages. Featuring over 190 objects spanning antiquity to the present from, the exhibition reveals how designers apply the theories of the world’s greatest color thinkers to bring order and excitement to the visual world.
Family Programs: Create under the guidance of art and design professionals in weekend Design Kids workshops for ages 5-12.
Strollers/Diapers: All of the galleries are accessible via ramp or elevator. Baby-changing tables can be found in all of the ground-floor restrooms. Outside snacks allowed in the Cafe seating area.
Eat & Treats: Get pizza, panini, salads and biscotti in the museum's cafe and gorgeous Compartes chocolate bars in the gift shop. The excellent cupcakes and other sweet treats are the main lure at Yura on Madison (between 91st & 92nd Street) but delicious healthier entrees, sides & sandwiches are also available. Or head to the Russ & Daughters Cafe in the Jewish Museum across the street.
Other Tips: Lounge on high-design, kid-friendly furniture in the free admission terrace and garden.
At This Location
- Saturated: The Allure and Science of Color Tuesday, May 1–Sunday, January 13 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Scholten & Baijings: Lessons from the Studio Friday, October 5–Wednesday, November 28 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Design Kids At Cooper Hewitt: Design + Inclusion Saturday, November 17 11:00 am–3:00 pm
- Cooper Hewitt Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Friday, November 23 6:00 pm–9:00 pm
- Cooper Hewitt Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Friday, November 30 6:00 pm–9:00 pm
- Cooper Hewitt Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Friday, December 7 6:00 pm–9:00 pm
- Cooper Hewitt Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Friday, December 14 6:00 pm–9:00 pm
- Cooper Hewitt Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Friday, December 21 6:00 pm–9:00 pm
- Cooper Hewitt Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Friday, December 28 6:00 pm–9:00 pm
- Cooper Hewitt Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Friday, January 4 6:00 pm–9:00 pm