New York, New York
Upper West Side
Sunday–Friday 10 am – 5 pm
Saturday 10 am – 7 pm
The enchanting Children’s Museum of Manhattan has interactive, educational exhibits and lots of kids programming and performances.
$: $11, $7/seniors, free/ages 11 months old & younger
Annual Memberships: $210 ($125 is tax deductible) for two adults, all children in their household, and up to two additional adult caregivers. .
Free Hours: First Friday of each month 5-8pm.
Current Kid-Friendly Exhibits:
•Let’s Dance! (through Dec 31)
Bounce, glide or leap in an exciting exhibition/dance space designed to introduce children and families to the delights of dance as an art form, as an expression of diverse cultures and traditions, and as a healthy physical activity. Interact with an immersive video projection dome dance portal to learn with professional, community, and student dance companies from New York and abroad. Create multi-color shadow dances on the “stage” while exploring lighting design with a child-friendly lighting box. Choreograph a series of dance patterns while learning the language of dance and using movable signs, props and costumes. Experiment with authentic percussion...
•Art, Artists & You (through Dec 31)
In a dynamic, hands-on environment, watch, follow, collaborate with, and take inspiration from working contemporary artists in studio workspaces. Explore the work of a diverse set of artists who work with materials and techniques such as assemblage/collage, fiber arts, technology/new media and paper.
Family Programs: Check out the packed calendar of daily workshops in design, math, science and more. Workshops are divided into ages 4 & under and 5 & over; the latter require same-day registration one hour before at the yellow Visitor Information Desk in the first floor lobby, where you can also pick up tickets to weekend performances by Broadway artists, professional dance troupes and recording artists one hour before each show.
Strollers/Diapers: Strollers must be left at the coat check. All of the bathrooms have diaper changing tables.
Eat & Treats: Choose from salads, sandwiches, amazing healthy artisanal bread and not-so-healthy pastries at the new UWS outpost of the 100-year-old Orwasher's Bakery at Amsterdam & 81st Street. The extensive cheesecake-heavy dessert menu and charming decor lure locals to cash-only tourist trap Cafe Lalo across the street.
Other Tips: Families of employees of corporate members (many NYC companies including Goldman Sachs, Bloomberg and American Express) get one year of free admission to the Museum.
At This Location
- Let’s Dance! Saturday, July 1–Monday, December 31 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Art, Artists & You Saturday, June 2–Monday, December 31 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Art, Artists & You: Thanksgiving Day Parade Floats Saturday, November 17 10:00 am–5:00 pm
- Art, Artists & You: Thanksgiving Day Parade Floats Sunday, November 18 10:00 am–5:00 pm
- Indian Arts Series: Paper and Pattern with Shelly Bahl Sunday, November 18 2:00 pm–2:45 pm
- Art, Artists & You: Thanksgiving Day Parade Floats Saturday, November 24 10:00 am–5:00 pm
- Art, Artists & You: Thanksgiving Day Parade Floats Sunday, November 25 10:00 am–5:00 pm
- Indian Arts Series: Ajna Dance Company Saturday, December 1 2:00 pm–2:45 pm
- Free Children’s Museum of Manhattan Friday, December 7 5:00 pm–8:00 pm