New York, New York
Upper West Side
Tuesday–Thursday & Saturday 11:30 am – 7 pm
Friday 12 pm – 7:30 pm
Sunday 12 pm – 6 pm
The cozy, always free American Folk Art Museum features rotating family-friendly exhibits featuring Americana art that often includes engaging colors, patterns and animals.
$: Always free
Current Kid-Friendly Exhibits:
•Vestiges & Verse: Notes from the Newfangled Epic (through May 27)
Rare manuscripts, series of drawings, illustrated notebooks with coded texts, expanding cartography, journals, and multi-part collages by twenty-one self-taught artists highlight sequential art and visual storytelling.
Family Programs: The first Saturday of every month, Families and Folk Art introduces children ages 4 to 12 to folk art through interactive and discussion-based tours in the galleries followed by hands-on artmaking activities inspired by objects in the museum. Polite listeners of all ages can enjoy free jazz guitar on Wednesdays 2 - 3 pm and diverse folk musicians Fridays 5:30 - 7:30.
Strollers/Diapers: The entire gallery is easily stroller-accessible. Changing tables (and great pastry and coffee) are available at Le Pain Quotidian around the corner on 65th Street.
Eat & Treats: Stop by Chef Daniel's Épicerie Boulud a few blocks south for delicious house-made charcuterie and a selection of artisanal cheeses, alongside home-made soups, salads, sandwiches, fresh baked breads, pastries and more. We love the sausages, macaroons and gelato.
Other Tips: The gift shop is a great resource for charming toys and children's books.
- Vestiges & Verse: Notes from the Newfangled Epic Sunday, January 21–Sunday, May 27 12:00 pm–6:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, April 25 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, May 2 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Families and Folk Art Saturday, May 5 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, May 9 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, May 16 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, May 23 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, May 30 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Families and Folk Art Saturday, June 2 1:00 pm–2:00 pm