New York, New York
Upper West Side
Tuesday–Thursday & Saturday 11:30 am – 7 pm
Friday 12 pm – 7:30 pm
Sunday 12 pm – 6 pm
The cozy, always free American Folk Art Museum features rotating family-friendly exhibits featuring Americana art that often includes engaging colors, patterns and animals.
$: Always free
Family Programs: The first Saturday of every month, Families and Folk Art introduces children ages 4 to 12 to folk art through interactive and discussion-based tours in the galleries followed by hands-on artmaking activities inspired by objects in the museum. Polite listeners of all ages can enjoy free jazz guitar on Wednesdays 2 - 3 pm and diverse folk musicians Fridays 5:30 - 7:30.
Strollers/Diapers: The entire gallery is easily stroller-accessible. Changing tables (and great pastry and coffee) are available at Le Pain Quotidian around the corner on 65th Street.
Eat & Treats: Stop by Chef Daniel's Épicerie Boulud a few blocks south for delicious house-made charcuterie and a selection of artisanal cheeses, alongside home-made soups, salads, sandwiches, fresh baked breads, pastries and more. We love the sausages, macaroons and gelato.
Other Tips: The gift shop is a great resource for charming toys and children's books.
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, January 24 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, January 31 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Families and Folk Art Saturday, February 3 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, February 7 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, February 14 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, February 21 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, February 28 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Families and Folk Art Saturday, March 3 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, March 7 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, March 14 2:00 pm–3:00 pm