New York, New York
Upper West Side
Tuesday–Thursday & Saturday 11:30 am – 7 pm
Friday 12 pm – 7:30 pm
Sunday 12 pm – 6 pm
The cozy, always free American Folk Art Museum features rotating family-friendly exhibits featuring Americana art that often includes engaging colors, patterns and animals.
$: Always free
Current Kid-Friendly Exhibits:
•John Dunkley: Neither Day Nor Night (through Feb 24)
See paintings from the 1930s and 1940s and carved wood and stone figurative sculptures by one of Jamaica’s most important artists, John Dunkley including many landscapes and animal portraits. Find a few cute bunnies.
Family Programs: The first Saturday of every month, Families and Folk Art introduces children ages 4 to 12 to folk art through interactive and discussion-based tours in the galleries followed by hands-on artmaking activities inspired by objects in the museum. Polite listeners of all ages can enjoy free jazz guitar on Wednesdays 2 - 3 pm and diverse folk musicians Fridays 5:30 - 7:30.
Strollers/Diapers: The entire gallery is easily stroller-accessible. Changing tables (and great pastry and coffee) are available at Le Pain Quotidian around the corner on 65th Street.
Eat & Treats: Stop by Chef Daniel's Épicerie Boulud a few blocks south for delicious house-made charcuterie and a selection of artisanal cheeses, alongside home-made soups, salads, sandwiches, fresh baked breads, pastries and more. We love the sausages, macaroons and gelato.
Other Tips: The gift shop is a great resource for charming toys and children's books.
At This Location
- John Dunkley: Neither Day Nor Night Tuesday, October 30–Sunday, February 24 12:00 pm–6:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Tuesday, November 20 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Free Music Fridays Thursday, November 22 5:30 pm–7:30 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Tuesday, November 27 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Free Music Fridays Thursday, November 29 5:30 pm–7:30 pm
- Families and Folk Art Saturday, December 1 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Tuesday, December 4 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Free Music Fridays Thursday, December 6 5:30 pm–7:30 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Tuesday, December 11 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Free Music Fridays Thursday, December 13 5:30 pm–7:30 pm