11:00 am–4:00 pm
New-York Historical Society (70 Central Park West at 77th Street)
$20, $6/ages 5-13, free/ages 4 & under
50% off with this link
At 11 am, author Rhoda Knight-Kalt reads her book Tigers and Tea with Toppy, the story of Rhoda spending time with her beloved grandfather, Toppy, all around New York City. Together they visit the American Museum of Natural History, Central Park Zoo, and even have tea at the Plaza Hotel/ From 12–4 pm, in conjunction with exhibition Black Citizenship in the Age of Jim Crow, Living Historians portraying African American school teachers from the Reconstruction era welcome you to their ‘classroom’ all weekend long. Practice lettering skills on a 19th-century writing slate, explore the books and other subjects taught at African American schools in New York, and learn about schools for and teachers of recently freed people in the South that increased their opportunity to pursue life, liberty, and happiness. Also check out the awesome, interactive Children’s Museum in the basement.
Eats & Treats: Feast on antipasti, artisanal pastas and paninis at Caffe Storico, the museum's classy but kid-friendly eatery or grab pastries and sandwichs at counter service Parliament Espresso and Coffee. Head down 77th Street for burgers and frozen custard at Shake Shack.
- Black Citizenship in the Age of Jim Crow Friday, September 7–Sunday, March 3 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Presidents Day: Cocoa with the Founders Monday, February 18 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- February School Vacation Week: Black History Month Tuesday, February 19 11:00 am–4:00 pm
- Little New-Yorkers New-York Historical Society Storytime Tuesday, February 19 3:30 pm–4:15 pm
- February School Vacation Week: Black History Month Wednesday, February 20 11:00 am–4:00 pm
- February School Vacation Week: Black History Month Thursday, February 21 11:00 am–4:00 pm
- February School Vacation Week: Black History Month Friday, February 22 11:00 am–4:00 pm
- Little New-Yorkers New-York Historical Society Storytime Friday, February 22 3:30 pm–4:15 pm
- Living History: Investigative Reporting and Jim Crow Saturday, February 23 12:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Living History: The First Black Elected Officials Saturday, February 23 12:00 pm–4:00 pm