New-York Historical Society (70 Central Park West at 77th Street)
$20, $6/ages 5-13, free/ages 4 & under
50% off with this link
Examine antique projection equipment and painted glass slides, and see how Victorian magic lanternists conjured images of spirits, distant lands, and illustrations to entertain New Yorkers in the 19th century, demonstrated by artist and filmmaker Joel Schlemowitz. Also check out the Summer of Magic: Treasures from the David Copperfield Collection, the awesome, interactive Children’s Museum in the basement and the design-your-own Tiffany lamp on the fourth floor.
Eats & Treats: Feast on antipasti, artisanal pastas and paninis at Caffe Storico, the museum's classy but kid-friendly eatery or grab pastries and sandwichs at counter service Parliament Espresso and Coffee. Head down 77th Street for burgers and frozen custard at Shake Shack.
- Black Citizenship in the Age of Jim Crow Friday, September 7–Sunday, March 3 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Harry Potter: A History of Magic Friday, October 5–Sunday, January 27 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Fortune Tellers from the History of Magic Saturday, November 17 11:00 am–4:00 pm
- Stroller Tour Through History Sunday, November 18 10:15 am–11:00 am
- New-York Historical Society Storytime Sunday, November 18 11:30 am–12:30 pm
- History of Magic Family Days Sunday, November 18 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Little New-Yorkers New-York Historical Society Storytime Tuesday, November 20 3:30 pm–4:15 pm
- Thanksgiving Eve Family Celebration Wednesday, November 21 3:00 pm–5:00 pm
- Living History: Thanksgiving and the Civil War Friday, November 23 11:00 am–4:00 pm
- Little New-Yorkers New-York Historical Society Storytime Friday, November 23 3:30 pm–4:15 pm