South Mountain Fairy Trail
Suggested Ages: All
Discover dozens of tiny fairy houses made of natural materials like twigs, acorns and moss dotted along part of the Rahway Trail.
* Enter at the Locust Grove entrance across from the Millburn Library. Look for the Rahway Trail sign near the large blue recycling bin in the midway in the parking lot.
* The full loop is approximately 1 mile, but can be shortened by taking a right turn onto any of the first three trails that connect to the Rahway Trail–all lead back to the parking lot.
* Around 30 minutes from midtown (depending on traffic). Short Uber ride from the South Orange train station.
See over 200 species representing animals from around the world including tigers, lions, exotic birds and many more. Indoor areas like Reptile House, Touch Tank, Sea Turtle Recovery, and Penguins are open with one-way traffic patterns and limited capacities.
* Also ride an endangered species carousel, play Safari-themed mini golf ($10-$12), climb the Prehistoric Playground…More info
Lots to explore throughout this large, interactive museum.
* Step inside a giant microscope lens, create your own engineering challenge using foam blocks and wooden shapes, get creative with a giant wall installation made of 952 pixel dials and try more hands=on science.
* Explore multiple routes in the massive suspended Infinity Climber (surrounded by…More info
Drive (slowly) through 1,200 animals from six continents including elephants, rhinos, tigers, giraffes and lions a 350-acre preserve in Jackson, New Jersey (about 1.5 hours from Manhattan). The safari takes about an hour or two depending on traffic (and animals crossings – they can get very close).
The audio guide is mostly safety instructions. Download…More info
Paddle a swan-shaped boat on the Orange Reservoir. Boats seat 2 or 4. For ages 2+. Tickets sold on a first come, first served basis. No advanced sales. Weekends only
Also play on the Children’s Regatta Playground with a wave-like rubberized safety surface and a series of play equipment designed to look like boats. A…More info