Metropolitan Museum Of Art (1000 Fifth Avenue at 82nd Street)
Pay-what-you-wish, suggested $25, free/ages 12 & under
On the centenary of the death of Auguste Rodin (1840–1917), The Metropolitan Museum of Art celebrates its historic collection of the artist’s work. Nearly 50 marbles, bronzes, plasters, and terracottas by Rodin are displayed in the newly installed and refurbished B. Gerald Cantor Sculpture Gallery. The exhibition features iconic sculptures such as The Thinker and The Hand of God, as well as masterpieces such as The Tempest that have not been on view in decades. Paintings from The Met collection by some of Rodin’s most admired contemporaries, including his friends Claude Monet (1840–1926) and Pierre Puvis de Chavannes (1824–1898), are presented in dialogue with the sculptures on display.
Eats & Treats: Inside the museum, the American Wing Cafe has soups, salads, sandwiches and a gorgeous view of Central Park. 'the cafeteria' in the basement is less scenic but has more selection - pasta, sushi, hot entrees, a frozen yogurt sundae bar and kids' meals that come in cardboard taxis. The Roof Garden has some snacks (and you can bring your own and nosh with a view). Or head to Shake Shack (86th between Lexington & Third) or the chill Pizza Beach (81st & Third). Pick up one of the city's best black-and-white cookies at William Greenberg (1100 Madison between 82nd & 83rd).
Also at this location:
- Public Parks, Private Gardens: Paris to Provence Sunday, April 1–Sunday, July 29 10:00 am–5:30 pm
- The Met Roof Garden: Huma Bhabha’s We Come In Peace Tuesday, April 17–Sunday, October 28 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Visitors To Versailles Thursday, April 26–Sunday, July 29 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination Thursday, May 10–Monday, October 8 10:00 am–5:30 pm
- Metropolitan Museum Of Art Storytime Wednesday, June 20 3:00 pm–3:30 pm
- Toddler Metropolitan Museum of Art Storytime Thursday, June 21 10:30 am–11:00 am
- Metropolitan Museum Of Art Storytime Thursday, June 21 3:00 pm–3:30 pm
- Start with Art at the Met/Art Trek Thursday, June 21 3:30 pm–4:30 pm
- Toddler Metropolitan Museum of Art Storytime Friday, June 22 10:30 am–11:00 am
- Metropolitan Museum Of Art Storytime Sunday, June 24 2:00 pm–2:30 pm