Museum of the City of New York (1220 Fifth Avenue at 105th Street)
Get 2 tickets for $15
From frozen ponds to Madison Square Garden, ice-skating has become a quintessentially New York pastime, woven into the city’s urban fabric in ways large and small. Explore how ice-skating evolved in the city from its colonial Dutch and British origins to become a 19th-century craze, and later an opportunity for elaborate spectacle, commercialized leisure, and competitive sport in the 20th century and beyond. See vintage photographs, posters, lithographs, paintings, and costumes that reveal the evolution of the sport and art of ice-skating in the city both as a window into a passion and pastime of generations of New Yorkers, and as an unexpected ingredient of urban place-making.
Eats & Treats: Choose from different size and type of patties and an array of homemade sauces to make your own burger at Joy Burger Bar with a side of excellent sweet potato or zucchini fries.
- New York at Its Core Friday, November 18–Monday, December 31 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Rebel Women: Defying Victorianism Wednesday, July 25–Sunday, January 6 11:00 am–6:00 pm
- Through a Different Lens: Stanley Kubrick Photographs Wednesday, July 25–Sunday, October 28 11:00 am–6:00 pm
- 65% Off the Museum of the City of New York Monday, September 3–Monday, December 31 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Spooky City: Halloween at the Museum Wednesday, October 31 2:00 pm–6:00 pm
- Dia de Los Muertos Friday, November 2 2:30 pm–5:00 pm