Museum of the Moving Image
July 15 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 2:00 pm on Friday, repeating until September 30, 2022
An event every week that begins at 12:00 pm on Sunday and Saturday, repeating until September 30, 2022
Suggested Ages: All, Adult Friendly
Explore film, TV and video games from nineteenth century optical toys to the latest in digital art with lots of hand-on exhibits in a spacious, modern building.
* The hands-on core exhibition Behind the Screen features over 1,400 artifacts including early cameras, a real Chewbacca mask from the Star Wars films, footage of silent adventure classic The Great Train Robbery as well as chances to make stop-motion animations, add sound effects and music to famous movie scenes, and star in a personalized flipbook.
* Visit Miss Piggy, Elmo and other favorites in Jim Henson’s World. See 47 puppets, character sketches, storyboards, scripts, photographs, and iconic costumes plus film and television clips and behind-the-scenes footage.
* See continuous screenings of old Muppet Shows and more inside Red Groom’s whimsical Tut’s Fever Movie Palace.
* On Saturday & Sunday mornings, join MoMI educators for Green Screen, Stop Motion Animation, and Pixel Art activities in a new Media Game Lab.
* Screenings in a gorgeous, raked-seats theater must be purchased separately. Look out for family friendly classics from the Muppets to Studio Ghibli .
* Strollers and backpacks are not permitted in the galleries; free coat check is available. Baby-changing stations located in the Education Center restrooms on the first floor.
🚊 Closest subway stations are the R/M at Steinway Street and N/W at 36 Ave. Street parking is easy to find.
Friday 2–8 pm
Saturday–Sunday 12–6 pm
See Disney’s 1959 animated classic on the big screen. With art direction inspired by medieval and Renaissance painting and tapestries and music adapted from Tchaikovsky, this visually spectacular fairy tale, in which the deliriously evil and remarkably designed villain Maleficent makes things very difficult for betrothed royal lovers Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip, remains one…More info