Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) (4 West 53rd Street)
Free with museum admission ($25, $18/seniors, $14/students, free/ages 16 & under)
$85/year ($38 tax deductible)
Visitors of all ages can discover how artists and designers are inspired by the natural world in a new multisensory installation. Beautiful discovery boxes contain creative activities related to seashells, grass, butterflies, etc. inspired by works in the galleries. Also lots of gorgeous books, building toys and multimedia projects that appeal to all ages (including this mom – I made a cool flower-inspired chair prototype). Great play spot for bad weather days (or good weather – it’s right next to the sculpture garden). All ages welcome.
Daily 10 am - 5 pm
Eats & Treats: Casual Cafe 2 on the second floor has yummy Italian food and high chairs. In the summer snack on small plates and gelato in the peaceful Sculpture Garden. Stop by the midtown outpost of the inventive bakery Momofuku Milk Bar two blocks north for aptly-named crack pie and soft serve cereal milk ice cream.
- MoMA Art Lab: Nature Monday, January 1–Monday, December 31 10:30 am–5:00 pm
- MoMA Lounge Friday, June 1–Monday, December 31 12:00 am
- Bodys Isek Kingelez: City Dreams Friday, June 1–Tuesday, January 1 10:30 am–5:30 pm
- The Long Run Friday, June 1–Sunday, November 4 10:30 am–5:30 pm
- Toward a Concrete Utopia: Architecture in Yugoslavia, 1948–1980 Friday, June 1–Tuesday, January 1 10:30 am–5:30 pm
- If Everything Is Sculpture Why Make Sculpture? Saturday, June 16–Monday, September 30 10:30 am–5:30 pm
- Constantin Brancusi Sculpture Wednesday, August 1–Monday, February 18 10:30 am–5:30 pm
- Drawing in the Sculpture Garden Thursday, August 23 1:00 pm–3:00 pm
- MoMA Summer Thursdays Thursday, August 23 5:30 pm–8:30 pm
- Museum of Modern Art Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Friday, August 24 4:00 pm–8:00 pm