Metropolitan Museum Of Art (1000 Fifth Avenue at 82nd Street)
Pay-what-you-wish, suggested $25, free/ages 12 & under
This monumental exhibition of Renaissance art legend Michelangelo presents a stunning range and number of works by the artist: 133 of his drawings, three of his marble sculptures, his earliest painting, his wood architectural model for a chapel vault, as well as a substantial body of complementary works by other artists for comparison and context. Includes international loans from 50 public and private collections in the United States and Europe. Gets crowded so go early go on weekdays or at museum opening. And you might run into his namesake turtle.
Eats & Treats: Inside the museum, the American Wing Cafe has soups, salads, sandwiches and a gorgeous view of Central Park. 'the cafeteria' in the basement is less scenic but has more selection - pasta, sushi, hot entrees, a frozen yogurt sundae bar and kids' meals that come in cardboard taxis. The Roof Garden has some snacks (and you can bring your own and nosh with a view). Or head to Shake Shack (86th between Lexington & Third) or the chill Pizza Beach (81st & Third). Pick up one of the city's best black-and-white cookies at William Greenberg (1100 Madison between 82nd & 83rd).
- Armenia! Monday, October 22–Sunday, January 13 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Relative Values: The Cost of Art in the Northern Renaissance Thursday, October 25–Sunday, June 23 10:00 am–5:30 pm
- Toddler Metropolitan Museum of Art Storytime Tuesday, November 20 10:30 am–11:00 am
- Metropolitan Museum Of Art Storytime Tuesday, November 20 3:00 pm–3:30 pm
- Toddler Metropolitan Museum of Art Storytime Wednesday, November 21 10:30 am–11:00 am
- Metropolitan Museum Of Art Storytime Wednesday, November 21 3:00 pm–3:30 pm
- Start with Art at the Met/Art Trek Wednesday, November 21 3:30 pm–4:30 pm
- Toddler Metropolitan Museum of Art Storytime Thursday, November 22 10:30 am–11:00 am
- Toddler Metropolitan Museum of Art Storytime Friday, November 23 10:30 am–11:00 am
- Start with Art at the Met/Art Trek Friday, November 23 11:00 am–12:00 pm