Metropolitan Museum Of Art (1000 Fifth Avenue at 82nd Street)
Pay-what-you-wish, suggested $25, free/ages 12 & under
This monumental exhibition of Renaissance art legend Michelangelo presents a stunning range and number of works by the artist: 133 of his drawings, three of his marble sculptures, his earliest painting, his wood architectural model for a chapel vault, as well as a substantial body of complementary works by other artists for comparison and context. Includes international loans from 50 public and private collections in the United States and Europe. Gets crowded so go early go on weekdays or at museum opening. And you might run into his namesake turtle.
Nearby Eat & Treats: Inside the museum, the American Wing Cafe has soups, salads, sandwiches and a gorgeous view of Central Park. 'the cafeteria' in the basement is less scenic but has more selection - pasta, sushi, hot entrees, a frozen yogurt sundae bar and kids' meals that come in cardboard taxis. The Roof Garden has some snacks (and you can bring your own and nosh with a view). Or head to Shake Shack (86th between Lexington & Third) or the chill Pizza Beach (81st & Third). Pick up one of the city's best black-and-white cookies at William Greenberg (1100 Madison between 82nd & 83rd).
More events this week | Sign up for our email list
Also at this location:
- Public Parks, Private Gardens: Paris to Provence Sunday, April 1–Sunday, July 29 10:00 am–5:30 pm
- The Met Roof Garden: Huma Bhabha’s We Come In Peace Tuesday, April 17–Sunday, October 28 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination Thursday, May 10–Monday, October 8 10:00 am–5:30 pm
- Toddler Metropolitan Museum of Art Storytime Monday, May 21 10:30 am–11:00 am
- Toddler Metropolitan Museum of Art Storytime Tuesday, May 22 10:30 am–11:00 am
- Metropolitan Museum Of Art Storytime Tuesday, May 22 3:00 pm–3:30 pm
- Toddler Metropolitan Museum of Art Storytime Wednesday, May 23 10:30 am–11:00 am
- Metropolitan Museum Of Art Storytime Wednesday, May 23 3:00 pm–3:30 pm
- Toddler Metropolitan Museum of Art Storytime Thursday, May 24 10:30 am–11:00 am
- Metropolitan Museum Of Art Storytime Thursday, May 24 3:00 pm–3:30 pm