Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) (4 West 53rd Street)
$25, $18/seniors, $14/students, free/ages 16 & under
Marvel at the ongoing experimentation of a Surrealist who went “beyond painting” to articulate the irrational and unexplainable in the wake of two world wars. The crazy, sometimes creepy, sometimes adorable paintings and sculptures appeal to all ages.
Eats & Treats: Casual Cafe 2 on the second floor has yummy Italian food and high chairs. In the summer snack on small plates and gelato in the peaceful Sculpture Garden. Stop by the midtown outpost of the inventive bakery Momofuku Milk Bar two blocks north for aptly-named crack pie and soft serve cereal milk ice cream.
- MoMA Art Lab: Nature Monday, January 1–Monday, December 31 10:30 am–5:00 pm
- MoMA Lounge Friday, June 1–Monday, December 31 12:00 am
- Bodys Isek Kingelez: City Dreams Friday, June 1–Tuesday, January 1 10:30 am–5:30 pm
- The Long Run Friday, June 1–Sunday, November 4 10:30 am–5:30 pm
- Toward a Concrete Utopia: Architecture in Yugoslavia, 1948–1980 Friday, June 1–Tuesday, January 1 10:30 am–5:30 pm
- If Everything Is Sculpture Why Make Sculpture? Saturday, June 16–Monday, September 30 10:30 am–5:30 pm
- Constantin Brancusi Sculpture Wednesday, August 1–Monday, February 18 10:30 am–5:30 pm
- Museum of Modern Art Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Friday, September 28 4:00 pm–8:00 pm
- MoMA Family Gallery Talks Saturday, September 29 10:15 am–11:15 am
- Family Art Workshops: Building Imagined Cities Saturday, September 29 10:30 am–12:00 pm