10:00 am–6:00 pm
New Museum (235 Bowery)
$16, $14/seniors, free/ages 17 & under
In Mexican artist Castillo Deball’s first NYC survey, walk on a a specially commissioned inlaid wood floor installation, drawn from an early colonial map of San Pedro Teozacoalco, Mexico, which bears a unique stylistic blend of European maps and Mixtec codices of the sixteenth century. Explore a large-scale sculpture, a would-be mold turned inside out, preforated books and other recent works inspired by Mesoamerican iconography about the residual effects of early-colonial transformations in Central America.
Eats & Treats: So many yummy treats in this happening neighborhood. Try healthy French and Moroccan casual fare (and a famous avocado toast) at Café Gitane (242 Mott St) or innovative ice cream flavors at Morgenstern’s Finest Ice Cream (2 Rivington).
- Nari Ward: We The People Thursday, September 13–Sunday, May 26 11:00 am–6:00 pm
- Mariana Castillo Deball: Finding Oneself Outside Tuesday, January 22–Sunday, April 14 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- First Saturdays For Families Saturday, March 2 10:00 am–12:00 pm
- First Saturdays For Families Saturday, April 6 10:00 am–12:00 pm
- First Saturdays For Families Saturday, May 4 10:00 am–12:00 pm
- First Saturdays For Families Saturday, June 1 10:00 am–12:00 pm