1:00 pm–4:00 pm
New-York Historical Society (70 Central Park West at 77th Street)
$20, $6/ages 5-13, free/ages 4 & under
50% off with this link
Celebrate Harry Potter with hands-on activities and crafts exploring some of the characteristics of the four Hogwarts Houses—Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Select and decorate your House badge, plan and decorate your own magical wand, play around with word roots—Latin, Spanish, Algonquin, and more—to trace the origins of historical incantations and join forces to add color and detail to a large-scale version of Jim Kay’s incredible illustration of Diagon Alley’s Noltie’s Botanical Novelties. Practice your secret code-making—and code-breaking—skills in historical cipher activities, brew your own potion (psst, it’s really tea!) using a variety of flowers, spices, and herbs, and peruse a selection of historical potion and medical recipes from New-York Historical’s Library. Separate timed ticket required for exhibition Harry Potter: A History of Magic. Also explore the awesome, interactive Children’s Museum in the basement and customizable Tiffany lamps on the fourth floor.
Eats & Treats: Feast on antipasti, artisanal pastas and paninis at Caffe Storico, the museum's classy but kid-friendly eatery or grab pastries and sandwichs at counter service Parliament Espresso and Coffee. Head down 77th Street for burgers and frozen custard at Shake Shack.
- Black Citizenship in the Age of Jim Crow Friday, September 7–Sunday, March 3 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- February School Vacation Week: Black History Month Friday, February 22 11:00 am–4:00 pm
- Little New-Yorkers New-York Historical Society Storytime Friday, February 22 3:30 pm–4:15 pm
- Living History: Investigative Reporting and Jim Crow Saturday, February 23 12:00 pm–4:00 pm
- New-York Historical Society Storytime Sunday, February 24 11:30 am–12:30 pm
- Living History: Investigative Reporting and Jim Crow Sunday, February 24 12:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Little New-Yorkers New-York Historical Society Storytime Tuesday, February 26 3:30 pm–4:15 pm
- Little New-Yorkers New-York Historical Society Storytime Friday, March 1 3:30 pm–4:15 pm
- New-York Historical Society Storytime Sunday, March 3 11:30 am–12:30 pm
- Little New-Yorkers New-York Historical Society Storytime Tuesday, March 5 3:30 pm–4:15 pm