Hudson River Museum
Suggested Ages: All, Adult Friendly
Learn about the connections between arts, sciences, and history on a family-friendly museum situated on the banks of the Hudson River.
* Choose from three shows in the immersive Planetarium on weekends at 12:30 pm, 2 pm & 3:30 pm. Learn about the moon, Big Bird and Elmo and their friends in China, get a live tour of the sky as seen Westchester, and experience the twisted tale of our planet’s origins.
* From a distance, Federico Uribe: Plastic Reef appears to be a colorful and beautiful underwater world filled with corals, mussels, and schools of fish. Up close, discover discover it is, in fact, thousands of pieces of upcycled plastic that are carefully cut and whimsically arranged.
* Go inside Red Grooms’ The Bookstore, a sculpto-pictorama with amusing details, riotous color, and exploding perspectives.
* Experience what life was like in 1877 on a 45-minute tour of the six fully restored period rooms of Glenview Historic Home (used as a set in HBO series The Gilded Age), including a large luxurious dollhouse. See new paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts on view (Thursdays & Fridays, 1pm; Saturdays & Sundays, 1 & 3pm).
* Join weekend family art projects as well as other special events for all ages.
* Relax in the outdoor courtyard (bring your own mat or blanket if you’d like to lounge) and play on a large lawn overlooking the Hudson River.
* Families with children up to age 5 can visit Early Explorers to rest, refresh, and recharge with a selection of books and other activities (Saturday & Sunday 1-4 pm).
* The interactive Hudson Riverama is still closed for now.
🍽 A limited selection of beverages and snacks are available in the Museum Shop. Picnic on the lawn with a view (BYO blanket). Pick up try tasty tacos at The Taco Project or dine on a delicious brunch on a patio overlooking the Hudson River at X20 Xaviers on the Hudson (reserve in advance), both about a 5-minute drive away.
🌳 Explore gorgeous walled gardens and scenic trails at nearby Untermyer Gardens.
🚂 By train, either rake the Metro-North Railroad’s Hudson Line local train to Glenwood Station, a short walk to the museum, or take an express train to Yonkers, a $5 cab ride away from the museum.
🚙 About a 30 min drive from mid-Manhattan. Ample free parking.
From dawn till dusk, explore 33-acres of hiking trails, native meadow and vernal pond, and say hello to outdoor animals including goats, bunnies and eagles. Play on a large nature-inspired playground with lots of equipment for all ages.
Inside the historic manor house (open Tuesday–Sunday, 10 am – 4 pm), find two floors of live…More info
Dive into exciting adventures and vibrant colors with this joyful collection of award-winning and audience favorite short animated films from Children’s Film Festival Seattle. These short films tell big stories about creatures both great and small and will take you on a trip around the world with stop-motion, hand-drawn, and other amazing animation techniques. Features…More info
See free music, dance and theater performances in an outdoor amphitheater overlooking the majestic Palisades and the Hudson River. On Fridays, also enjoy pay-what-you-wish admission to the Hudson River Museum from 5-7pm.
No reservations required. Seating is on a first-come, first-serve, basis; capacity may be limited. Free parking available.
Food and beverages will be…More info