New York Botanical Garden (2900 Southern Boulevard)
$10-$20, admission varies by day; free for under 2
Use this link for discounted $15 adult tickets, $8 ages 2-12 tickets
Marvel at model trains zipping around stunning New York landmark replicas made of plant parts such as nuts, bark, and leaves, and enjoy hands-on holiday fun for the entire family (most of it in the climate-controlled indoors). This year’s exhibition showcases Coney Island, with working models of the Wonder Wheel, Cyclone and more. Buy tickets online before trekking up to the Bronx (take the Metro-North Harlem local line to Botanical Garden Station) as tickets sometimes sell out. Go right at opening or on a weekday to avoid the crowds (though the traffic patterns have improved in recent years). Take breaks in the tropical rainforest wing where there are no trains but lots of room to roam freely. Range of food including pretty good pizza availble at the adjacent Gingerbread Cafe (weekends only) or the Pine Tree cafe by the main entrance. Also see the live show All Aboard With Thomas & Friends the last month of the show.
Eats & Treats: The family-friendly menu at the counter-service Pine Tree Café offers fresh panini, pizza, salads and snacks. Shop for artisanal caramels, infused olive oils and other tasty treats at the charming gift shop.
- Georgia O’Keeffe: Visions of Hawaii Saturday, May 19–Sunday, October 28 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Spooky Pumpkin Garden Friday, October 19–Wednesday, October 31 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Giant Pumpkin Weekend Saturday, October 20 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Creepy Creatures of Halloween Saturday, October 20 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Creepy Creatures of Halloween Sunday, October 21 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- New York Botanical Garden Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Wednesday, October 24 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Creepy Creatures of Halloween Saturday, October 27 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Creepy Creatures of Halloween Sunday, October 28 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- New York Botanical Garden Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Wednesday, October 31 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- New York Botanical Garden Pay-As-You-Wish Hours Wednesday, November 7 10:00 am–6:00 pm