Jan 1 @ 7:00 am - Dec 31 @ 7:00 pm
Suggested Ages: All, Adult Friendly
This historic cemetery (founded in 1838) is a lovely place to wander, with 478 spectacular acres of hills, valleys, glacial ponds and paths, plus gorgeous views of the Manhattan skyline and extraordinary 19th- and 20th-century statuary and mausoleums.
* Honor famous permanent residents such as Leonard Bernstein, Boss Tweed, Charles Ebbets, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Louis Comfort Tiffany, Civil War generals, baseball legends, politicians, artists, entertainers and inventors. Pick up a free map at any entrance (or print at home) and stroll the grounds on your own, or download the free Mobile App.
* Follow musical soundwalk Cairns ($7), written and narrated by HERE Artist Residency Program Artist Gelsey Bell, for a poetic journey.
* Families can reserve a custom curated resource kits ($50) that include a lesson plan, lesson materials of your choice, and Green-Wood stickers. Topics include Nature Scavenger Hunt at Green-Wood, Bird-Watching at Green-Wood, Stories in Stone: Decoding Cemetery Symbols and Suffragists of Green-Wood.
* No bicycles, balls, running, shouting, picnicking etc. out of respect for the graves. Bathrooms at all entrances.
* Lots of awesome food options within walking distance on Fifth Ave including fried hamburgers (and lots of veggie options) at Eastern-European Korzo and cheesecake & treats at Laurentino’s Pasticceria.