Great Captain Island
Jun 11 @ 10:00 am– Sep 11 @ 6:00 pm
Arch Street Ferry Dock
Suggested Ages: All, Adult Friendly
Ferries start on June 10
Greenwich is home to two islands situated roughly two miles off of Greenwich Harbor, Great Captain Island and Island Beach. It’s a bit of expense of effort to get to the islands, but worth it.
* The islands are preserved in their natural state, no cars or stores, with many different species of birds. Visible across the lagoon in June and July are large colonies of nesting egrets and herons. Near the handsome Great Captain Island lighthouse (built in 1829), spot an osprey nesting platform.
* Single Entry Park Passes (($9/ages 5-64) must be purchased online.
* Parking tickets available at the kiosk machine in the ferry parking lot.
* Ferry tickets must be purchased before boarding at the dock.
* Boats depart every half hour or hour depending on the day (see the schedule).
* Or take ‘The Cruise to Nowhere,’ a relaxing two-hour tour of local waters ($20). Bring your own refreshments,
The Maritime Aquarium
Explore 75 live exhibits featuring more than 2,700 marine animals of 300 species at this aquarium devoted to Long Island Sound.
* See big and small sharks, stingrays, harbor seals, sea turtles, game fish, jellies, crabs, lobsters, mollusks and more. Plus see non-marine animals including tamarins and meerkats.
* Touch tanks are open with stingrays,…More info