American Museum of Natural History (West 81st Street & Central Park West)
Families with 5–14 year-olds with autism spectrum disorders can attend a 40-minute tour led by specially trained tour guides, then spend some time exploring the Discovery Room before the Museum opens to the public. Ages 5–9 will discover the dioramas in the Hall of North American Mammals, which offers a snapshot of the plants and animals native to North America, and explore the dioramas in the Milstein Hall of Ocean Life. Ages 10–14 will take a trip through the Hall of Planet Earth to explore the planet we live on and the forces that create volcanoes, earthquakes, and rock formations. Space is limited and advance registration is required. Call 212-769-5200, Monday-Friday, 9 am to 5 pm.
Eats & Treats: Go casual at Shake Shack across Columbus, home of delicious cheeseburgers and decadent frozen concretes (including a 'Natural History Crunch-stellation'), or avoid the crowds and cross 77th Street for antipasti, artisanal pastas and paninis at classy Caffe Storico in the New-York Historical Society. The new larger Levain Bakery (home of the famous giant chocolate chip cookies) is a few blocks west at Amsterdam & 77th Street.
- Our Senses: An Immersive Experience Monday, November 20–Sunday, January 6 12:00 am
- Unseen Oceans Monday, March 12–Sunday, January 6 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Gateway Storytime Friday, November 16 10:00 am–11:45 am
- Watson Adventures: The Wizard School Scavenger Hunt 2: The Museum of Magical History Saturday, November 17 10:30 am–12:00 pm
- Gateway Storytime Friday, November 23 10:00 am–11:45 am
- Gateway Storytime Friday, November 30 10:00 am–11:45 am
- Gateway Storytime Friday, December 7 10:00 am–11:45 am
- Gateway Storytime Friday, December 14 10:00 am–11:45 am
- Gateway Storytime Friday, December 21 10:00 am–11:45 am
- Gateway Storytime Friday, December 28 10:00 am–11:45 am