New York, New York
Sunday, Monday & Wednesday 10:30 am - 6 pm
Thursday - Saturday 10:30 am - 10 pm
See bold, often interactive modern contemporary art in a gorgeous modern building with a stunning view of the Hudson River.
$: $22, $18/students & seniors, free/kids under 18
Annual Memberships: $85+. Includes two guest passes and invitations to the members-only evening receptions. Can be customized to either 'Family' for discounts on kids' activities or 'Social' for more nights out for Mommy.
Free Hours: Friday 7-10 pm
Favorite Spots: Ramble up and down the outdoor stairs on the terrace with a view.
Current Kid-Friendly Exhibits:
Where We Are: Selections from the Whitney’s Collection, 1900–1960 (through Dec 31)
This stunning exhibition of works made from 1900 to 1960 is organized around five themes: family and community, work, home, the spiritual, and the nation. Includes iconic works by Louise Bourgeois, Edward Hopper, Jasper Johns, Jacob Lawrence, and Georgia O’Keeffe, among many others.
Strollers/Diapers: Strollers can be checked on the lower level or taken into most exhibits. The elevators are spacious (and works of art in themselves). Large bathrooms with changing tables on most floors. Check out the monthly stroller tours for ages 18 months and under.
Eat & Treats: The lobby restaurant Untitled is delicious, surprisingly kid-friendly and has one of the best chocolate chip cookies in the city. Brunch at Bubbes across Washington Street or go down the block for ton of yummy options at Gansevoort Market.
Other Tips: As with much contemporary art, some of the exhibits may not be appropriate for all ages. Do some research on Whitney's very cool website or ask at the Visitor Services desk in the lobby (where you can also pick up a free family guide).
Take a stroll on the adjacent High Line for a full day of city fun.
- Where We Are: Selections from the Whitney’s Collection, 1900–1960 Monday, January 1–Monday, December 31 11:00 am–6:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Saturday, June 23 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Sunday, June 24 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Saturday, June 30 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Sunday, July 1 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Saturday, July 7 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Sunday, July 8 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Saturday, July 14 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Sunday, July 15 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Stroller Tour Saturday, July 21 9:30 am–10:30 am