New York, New York
Daily 10 am – 5 pm
Open Thursday until 8 pm
All ages can learn about the culture and contributions of Native Americans at the engaging New York branch of this DC museum. Lots of opportunities for hands-on exploration in multiple rooms. Touch a buffalo hide, match animal drawings, learn about Mayan math, play in a teepee and more.
Pick up a fantastic family guide and find featured items among the galleries including wood and stone carvings, exquisite clothing, feather bonnets and lots of animal representations.
Current Kid-Friendly Exhibits:
Transformer: Native Art in Light and Sound (through Jan 6)
Ten artists use light, digital projection, and experimental media to reflect on their place in and between traditional and dominant cultures. Through innovative sound art, digital media, and installation, the exhibition demonstrates the continuity of Indigenous cultures and creativity in the digital age.
Circle of Dance (through Apr 30)
This awesome five-year exhibit featuring videos and gorgeous costumes of ten Native American social and ceremonial dances from throughout the Americas with plenty of floor space to dance along.
Family Programs: Every Monday 2–4 pm, learn more about the Taíno Indians, the indigenous peoples of the Caribbean through cultural materials and live demonstrations in the galleries.
Strollers/Diapers: Located within the grand, spacious Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House, the museum has plenty of room for strollers and changing tables in the second floor bathroom.
Eat & Treats: Pick up healthy, fresh, vegetarian-friendly meals at the popular food cart GoGo Grill across Bowling Green.
- Circle of Dance Tuesday, April 1–Tuesday, April 30 10:00 am–5:00 pm
- Transformer: Native Art in Light and Sound Friday, November 10–Sunday, January 6 10:00 am–5:00 pm
- Inka Chakana Thursday, June 21–Saturday, June 23 6:00 pm–7:00 pm
- Inti Raymi Festival Saturday, June 23 1:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Taíno Culture and Identity Monday, June 25 2:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Taíno Culture and Identity Monday, July 2 2:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Taíno Culture and Identity Monday, July 9 2:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Taíno Culture and Identity Monday, July 16 2:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Taíno Culture and Identity Monday, July 23 2:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Taíno Culture and Identity Monday, July 30 2:00 pm–4:00 pm