Astoria, New York
Wednesday–Thursday 10:30 am–5:00 pm
Friday 10:30 am–8:00 pm
Saturday and Sunday 10:30 am–6:00 pm
Explore film, TV and video games from nineteenth century optical toys to the latest in digital art with lots of hand-on exhibits in a spacious, modern building.
$: $15, $9/students & seniors, $7/ages 3-12, free/2 and under
Free Hours: Friday 4:00–6:00 pm
Favorite Spots: Play classic arcade games and see Star Wars paraphernalia (including a Chewbacca mask used in filming) on the second floor.
Current Kid-Friendly Exhibits:
Jim Henson’s World (through Dec 31)
Explore Jim Henson’s groundbreaking work for film and television and his transformative impact on popular culture and learn how Henson and his team of builders, performers, and writers brought to life the enduringly popular worlds of The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, The Dark Crystal, and Labyrinth. Among the nearly 300 objects on view are 47 puppets—including Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Rowlf, The Swedish Chef, Statler, Big Bird, Elmo, Cantus Fraggle, and other popular favorites—character sketches, storyboards, scripts, photographs, and iconic costumes. See film and television clips and behind-the-scenes footage and try interactive experiences puppeteering on screen and designing a puppet character.
Family Programs: See classics on the big screen and learn about filmmaking at family matinees & workshops held most weekends and during school vacations.
Eat & Treats: Indulge in Venezuelan fried yumminess at the Arepas Cafe a few blocks way and snag a Fraggle Rock Mast Brothers chocolate bar in the gift shop.
- Jim Henson’s World Monday, January 1–Monday, December 31 10:00 am–5:30 pm
- Science and Film Shorts for Kids Saturday, June 23 11:00 am–12:30 pm
- How to Be a Puppeteer Family Workshop Saturday, June 23 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
- Science and Film Shorts for Kids Sunday, June 24 11:00 am–12:30 pm
- Bear in the Blue House: Noel’s Favorites Saturday, June 30 11:00 am–12:00 pm
- Bear in the Blue House: Noel’s Favorites Sunday, July 1 11:00 am–12:00 pm