New York, New York
Upper West Side
Tuesday–Thursday & Saturday 11:30 am – 7 pm
Friday 12 pm – 7:30 pm
Sunday 12 pm – 6 pm
The cozy, always free American Folk Art Museum features rotating family-friendly exhibits featuring Americana art that often includes engaging colors, patterns and animals.
$: Always free
Current Kid-Friendly Exhibits:
•War and Pieced: The Annette Gero Collection of Quilts from Military Fabrics (through Jan 7)
See spectacularly complex geometric quilts made exclusively by men using richly dyed wools derived from British military and dress uniforms. The visual virtuosity of the quilts, often incorporating many thousands of pieces no larger than one-inch square, assumes a deeper emotional resonance as we consider them within the matrix of war and its aftermath.
Family Programs: The first Saturday of every month, Families and Folk Art introduces children ages 4 to 12 to folk art through interactive and discussion-based tours in the galleries followed by hands-on artmaking activities inspired by objects in the museum. Polite listeners of all ages can enjoy free jazz guitar on Wednesdays 2 - 3 pm and diverse folk musicians Fridays 5:30 - 7:30.
Strollers/Diapers: The entire gallery is easily stroller-accessible. Changing tables (and great pastry and coffee) are available at Le Pain Quotidian around the corner on 65th Street.
Eat & Treats: Stop by Chef Daniel's Épicerie Boulud a few blocks south for delicious house-made charcuterie and a selection of artisanal cheeses, alongside home-made soups, salads, sandwiches, fresh baked breads, pastries and more. We love the sausages, macaroons and gelato.
Other Tips: The gift shop is a great resource for charming toys and children's books.
- War and Pieced: The Annette Gero Collection of Quilts from Military Fabrics Sunday, October 1–Sunday, January 7 11:30 am–7:00 pm
- Free Music Fridays Friday, December 15 5:30 pm–7:30 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, December 20 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, December 27 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, January 3 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Families and Folk Art Saturday, January 6 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, January 10 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, January 17 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, January 24 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Jazz+Wednesdays Wednesday, January 31 2:00 pm–3:00 pm