Whitney Museum of American Art (99 Gansevoort Street)
$22, $18/students & seniors, free/kids under 18
Celebrate rural America through the paintings of Grant Wood. Families collaborate with artist Stina Puotinen to create an immersive installation inspired by the rolling hills and imaginative rural landscapes in Wood’s artwork. Parents and kids can add to a huge countryside mural, build fantastical plants using recycled materials, and make large-scale sculptural objects inspired by what they see in Wood’s paintings. Also join a Family Tours of the exhibition at 11:45 am &12:45 pm or pick up a Grant Wood Kids Activity Guide in the Lobby.
Nearby Eat & Treats: The lobby restaurant Untitled is delicious, surprisingly kid-friendly and has one of the best chocolate chip cookies in the city. Brunch at Bubbes across Washington Street or go down the block for ton of yummy options at Gansevoort Market.
More events this week | Sign up for our email list
Also at this location:
- Where We Are: Selections from the Whitney’s Collection, 1900–1960 Monday, January 1–Monday, December 31 11:00 am–6:00 pm
- Grant Wood: American Gothic and Other Fables Friday, March 2–Sunday, June 10 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Zoe Leonard: Survey Friday, March 2–Sunday, June 10 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Saturday, May 26 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Family Tours Saturday, May 26 10:45 am–11:15 am
- Whitney Open Studio Sunday, May 27 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Saturday, June 2 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Sunday, June 3 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Saturday, June 9 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Sunday, June 10 10:30 am–3:00 pm