Metropolitan Museum Of Art (1000 Fifth Avenue at 82nd Street)
Pay-what-you-wish, suggested $25, free/ages 12 & under
Pretend your a princess at this gorgeous exhibition bringing together works from The Met, the Château de Versailles, and over fifty lenders. Learn about the experiences of travelers from 1682, when Louis XIV moved his court to Versailles, to 1789, when the royal family was forced to leave the palace and return to Paris. Through paintings, portraits, furniture, tapestries, carpets, costumes, porcelain, sculpture, arms and armor, and guidebooks, the exhibition illustrates what visitors encountered at court, what kind of welcome and access to the palace they received, and what impressions, gifts, and souvenirs they took home with them.
Eats & Treats: Inside the museum, the American Wing Cafe has soups, salads, sandwiches and a gorgeous view of Central Park. 'the cafeteria' in the basement is less scenic but has more selection - pasta, sushi, hot entrees, a frozen yogurt sundae bar and kids' meals that come in cardboard taxis. The Roof Garden has some snacks (and you can bring your own and nosh with a view). Or head to Shake Shack (86th between Lexington & Third) or the chill Pizza Beach (81st & Third). Pick up one of the city's best black-and-white cookies at William Greenberg (1100 Madison between 82nd & 83rd).
Also at this location:
- Public Parks, Private Gardens: Paris to Provence Sunday, April 1–Sunday, July 29 10:00 am–5:30 pm
- The Met Roof Garden: Huma Bhabha’s We Come In Peace Tuesday, April 17–Sunday, October 28 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Visitors To Versailles Thursday, April 26–Sunday, July 29 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination Thursday, May 10–Monday, October 8 10:00 am–5:30 pm
- Toddler Metropolitan Museum of Art Storytime Friday, June 22 10:30 am–11:00 am
- Metropolitan Museum Of Art Storytime Sunday, June 24 2:00 pm–2:30 pm
- Toddler Metropolitan Museum of Art Storytime Monday, June 25 10:30 am–11:00 am
- Toddler Metropolitan Museum of Art Storytime Tuesday, June 26 10:30 am–11:00 am
- Metropolitan Museum Of Art Storytime Tuesday, June 26 3:00 pm–3:30 pm
- Toddler Metropolitan Museum of Art Storytime Wednesday, June 27 10:30 am–11:00 am