Whitney Museum of American Art (99 Gansevoort Street)
$10/adults, $8/members, students & seniors
Presented at the Whitney on twelve occasions, this three-year iterative performance project by American playwright, director, and performer Sibyl Kempson marks each solstice and equinox occurring between March 2016 and December 2018. The ninth Shout in this cycle celebrates the start of spring. Audience members are invited to move rhythmically to music composed by the artist Milica Paranosic, in preparation for a futuristic seed-planting ceremony in a familiar subterranean chamber. Flashes of red from deep in the Earth encourage us to take action in calling forth new life. We went to the fall equinox event, and it was as strange as it sounds – and very engaging for all ages.
Also at 2 pm, 4 pm & 6 pm.
Also at this location:
- Where We Are: Selections from the Whitney’s Collection, 1900–1960 Monday, January 1–Monday, December 31 11:00 am–6:00 pm
- Grant Wood: American Gothic and Other Fables Friday, March 2–Sunday, June 10 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Zoe Leonard: Survey Friday, March 2–Sunday, June 10 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Saturday, April 28 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Sunday, April 29 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Saturday, May 5 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Sunday, May 6 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Saturday, May 12 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Open Studio Sunday, May 13 10:30 am–3:00 pm
- Whitney Stroller Tour Saturday, May 19 9:30 am–10:30 am
More events this week | Sign up for our email list