American Museum of Natural History (West 81st Street & Central Park West)
suggested $22/ages 12-65, $12.50/ages 2-12, $17/students & seniors free/ages 2 & under
See the premiere of a site-specific opera for family audiences based on the real-life experiences of Rhoda Knight Kalt and her trips to the American Museum of Natural History with her grandfather Charles R. Knight, the famous naturalist artist who was commissioned to create paintings and sculptures of prehistoric creatures. Join Rhoda as she goes on a hunt for missing fossils around the hall while learning about the interconnectedness of creativity and science. Co-commissioned and co-produced with Lyric Opera of Chicago’s Lyric Unlimited and Pittsburgh Opera with music by John Musto and libretto by Eric Einhorn.
Friday 11:30 am
Saturday–Sunday 12:00 pm & 2:30 pm
Through Oct 15
Eats & Treats: Go casual at Shake Shack (Columbus @ 77th Street), home of delicious cheeseburgers and decadent frozen concretes (including a 'Natural History Crunch-stellation'), or avoid the crowds and cross 77th Street for antipasti, artisanal pastas and paninis at classy Caffe Storico in the New-York Historical Society. The new larger Levain Bakery (home of the famous giant chocolate chip cookies) is a few blocks west at Amsterdam & 77th Street.
Also at this location:
- Our Senses: An Immersive Experience Monday, November 20–Sunday, January 6 12:00 am
- Unseen Oceans Monday, March 12–Sunday, January 6 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Autism Spectrum Tour: The Discovery Squad Saturday, June 30–Saturday, July 14 9:00 am–10:00 am
- Autism Spectrum Tour: The Discovery Squad Saturday, July 14 9:00 am–10:00 am
- Autism Spectrum Tour: The Discovery Squad Saturday, August 4 9:00 am–10:00 am
- Autism Spectrum Tour: The Discovery Squad Saturday, September 1 9:00 am–10:00 am