American Museum of Natural History (West 81st Street & Central Park West)
Families with 5–14 year-olds with autism spectrum disorders can attend a 40-minute tour led by specially trained tour guides, then spend some time exploring the Discovery Room before the Museum opens to the public. Ages 5–9 will discover the dioramas in the Hall of North American Mammals, which offers a snapshot of the plants and animals native to North America, and explore the dioramas in the Milstein Hall of Ocean Life. Ages 10–14 will take a trip through the Hall of Planet Earth to explore the planet we live on and the forces that create volcanoes, earthquakes, and rock formations. Space is limited and advance registration is required. Call 212-769-5200, Monday-Friday, 9 am to 5 pm.
Nearby Eat & Treats: Go casual at Shake Shack (Columbus @ 77th Street), home of delicious cheeseburgers and decadent frozen concretes (including a 'Natural History Crunch-stellation'), or avoid the crowds and cross 77th Street for antipasti, artisanal pastas and paninis at classy Caffe Storico in the New-York Historical Society. The new larger Levain Bakery (home of the famous giant chocolate chip cookies) is a few blocks west at Amsterdam & 77th Street.
More events this week | Sign up for our email list
Also at this location:
- Our Senses: An Immersive Experience Monday, November 20–Sunday, January 6 12:00 am
- Unseen Oceans Monday, March 12–Sunday, January 6 10:00 am–6:00 pm
- Gateway Storytime Monday, May 21 10:15 am–12:00 pm
- Gateway Storytime Monday, May 28 10:15 am–12:00 pm
- Gateway Storytime Monday, June 4 10:15 am–12:00 pm
- Gateway Storytime Monday, June 11 10:15 am–12:00 pm
- Gateway Storytime Monday, June 18 10:15 am–12:00 pm
- Autism Spectrum Tour: The Discovery Squad Saturday, June 30–Saturday, July 14 9:00 am–10:00 am
- Autism Spectrum Tour: The Discovery Squad Saturday, July 14 9:00 am–10:00 am
- Autism Spectrum Tour: The Discovery Squad Saturday, August 4 9:00 am–10:00 am